Peer Mentors Wanted !
The Rock Trust is working to support care experienced young people, age 15 – 21, living in West Lothian, with the transition from care to independent adult life.
Our new project focusses on providing peer mentoring for these young people who, as a group, face much poorer outcomes and quality of life than other young people. Peer mentoring is a powerful way of offering support and guidance from someone who has been there too.
We are recruiting peer mentors for the project!
This transition is often a difficult and overwhelming experience for a young person who has been in care, who may not have the family support networks other young people take for granted. Mentoring provides relationship-based support to give them the opportunity to develop the practical and social skills, confidence and resilience they need to overcome the challenges they face.
- Have experience of living in care, disadvantage or have skills to share?
- Feel motivated to use your experiences and skills to support young people leaving care?
- Want to recognise and develop your own skills and experience?
- Have a few hours a week of your time to volunteer?
- Ready to commit to a challenging, exciting voluntary role?
- Willing to take part in training and support to develop your skills as a Peer Mentor?
- Up for making a positive difference to someone else’s life?
Yes? Then you could be just who we are looking for!
Peer mentors will be trained and guided in giving one to one mentoring support to care experienced young people on:
– social and practical living skills
– confidence building and resilience
– getting to know their community
– accessing leisure and volunteering opportunities
– preparing for education or employment
Peer mentor matches will be supervised and supported by the Peer Mentoring Project Worker
If you are interested in becoming a mentor – please get in touch!
Kirsten Muir, Peer mentoring project worker
e: email@example.com or t: 01506 591 860 m: 07813 325 292
The Rock Trust, 20 Grampian Court, Beveridge Square, Livingston EH54 6QF